I love my pets but also enjoy lots of greenery in our home. However, some of my favorite plants need to be kept away from my beloved furkids. Why? Not because I worry for the plant. In fact, some plants are truly deadly to our pets if they eat them. The plant survives, but the pet might not.
Knowing the plants toxic to rabbits might help save your pet from eating them. Since bunnies love to chew, they would consume anything delectable to their eyes. Thus, you must keep away household plants that can kill your pet. In this blog post, you will discover the ten plants toxic to rabbits. You will also learn the signs that your pet has been poisoned and what you should do. Keep reading to learn more!
Although azalea has beautiful flowers, you should not let your pet consume them. It is one of the plants toxic to rabbits. Its flowers have poisonous compounds that are harmful to a bunny when consumed. Aside from that, bunnies can get addicted to its nectar, wanting to consume more. According to research, bunnies that eat azaleas experience asthma and vomiting. Besides the flowers, the leaves of this plant are also detrimental to a rabbit’s health. Bunnies only eat azaleas when they have nothing to eat. Thus, you must feed your pet correctly to prevent it from eating the toxic plant.
Bittersweet is toxic to humans and rabbits. It has berries that are reddish-orange and flowers with different shades. Although they are pleasing to the eyes, they are dangerous. It is because they contain solanine– a toxic plant agent. It is also highly toxic because it has tropane alkaloids that affect the nervous system.
Bunnies that consumed bittersweet show vomiting, diarrhea, and dilated pupils. They are also agitated and confused. Some also experience nervous system abnormalities. If you notice these signs and suspect that your pet has eaten a bittersweet plant, you should bring it to the vet.
One of the plants toxic to rabbits is fresh buttercups. The protoanemonin in the plant irritates the mucous membrane, including the GI tract. Although dried buttercups have no protoanemonin, never feed them to your pet. Rabbits may only eat a few buttercups since it irritates their mouths. Aside from that, the toxin tastes bitter. However, some bunnies may consume large amounts of buttercups out of desperation.
If your pet has eaten buttercups, it can have diarrhea and excessive salivation. Convulsion, difficulty breathing, and colic are other signs your bunny may show. Your pet may also suffer from oral blistering, twitching of ears and lips, and GI tract blistering. Calling the animal poison control hotline or bringing your pet to the vet is necessary.
Daffodils are pretty flowers you can plant in your garden. But if you have rabbits, think twice before putting daffodils in your backyard. Unfortunately, they are one of the plants toxic to rabbits. Their bulbs have lycorine that causes vomiting, nausea, abdominal pain, and diarrhea. Besides the bulbs, the toxin is also present in the stems, leaves, and flowers.
Aside from the toxic chemical, rabbits also find daffodils bitter. They also have a pungent smell that makes the bunnies avoid them. However, hungry rabbits consume these plants, especially if they cannot find other food. If you want to have daffodils in your garden, ensure they are inaccessible to your pet.
Foxgloves can be found in woodlands and hedges. But you can also find them in gardens because of their beautiful flowers. However, foxgloves are harmful to rabbits since they contain cardiac glycosides. It is a toxic substance that can be found in all parts of plants. If you have this plant in your garden, keep it away from your bunny.
Symptoms of foxglove poisoning are dehydration, diarrhea, and abdominal pain. You may also observe that your pet has irregular heart rhythm and weakness. Bunnies that show fits and tremors may also happen in rare cases. The plant may also affect your pet’s kidneys and heart. Thus, you must bring your pet to the vet for treatment and medication.
Caladiums are one of the common houseplants. Their leaves have patterns and shades, making them ideal adornment in one’s garden. However, caladium is one of the plants toxic to rabbits. Since this plant has a latex, it can cause stomach problems. Your pet may also suffer from allergy, showing skin irritation in the long run.
A bunny that has ingested caladium may drool and vomit. You may also notice a decreased appetite and paws at the mouth or face. It may also suffer from oral pain due to the toxin. This plant is poisonous to rabbits and toxic to other household pets like cats and dogs. You should also keep them away from small children.
Another houseplant included in the list of toxic plants for rabbits is the anemone. It is harmful not only to bunnies but also to other animals. When consumed, your pet may experience abdominal pain and digestive tract issues. You must call a vet if your bunny has eaten an anemone.
Hydrangea is a woody shrub with buds that can survive even during winter. Its flowers are in different colors like white, blue, pink, green, red, and maroon. There are instances when bunnies won’t eat harmful plants like hydrangea. But if they become too hungry or curious, they may gnaw the plant’s wood and be poisoned.
If a rabbit ingests a hydrangea, it might show unusual behavior. A small amount may not be harmful, but a large amount can be fatal to your pet. You must keep your pet hydrated if the changes in its behavior. Aside from that, giving it high-fiber food can help eliminate the toxin in its body.
Ragwort is one of the plants toxic to rabbits, so you must prevent your pet from ingesting it. The toxins from this plant can result in fatal liver damage. Your pet may also suffer from a slow, painful death. If ragworts are in your garden, wear plastic gloves when removing them. It is because they are also dangerous to humans.
Before letting your pet roam around your garden, ensure that there are no ivy plants around. All parts of this plant can irritate your pet. However, its leaves and berries are known for their toxins. Bunnies that ingested ivy leaves and berries experience loss of appetite and diarrhea. A rabbit that has consumed many ivy plants may also experience fitting and paralysis. Rhododendrons may also cause your pet to suffer from gastrointestinal irritation and salivation. If you have ivy plants in your garden, it would be better to remove them immediately.
Signs that Your Pet Ingested Plants Toxic to Rabbits
Plant poisoning may happen if your pet roams in your garden unsupervised. Before letting your bunny play outside, ensure that no plants are toxic to rabbits. Don’t let your pet stay outside without your presence as much as possible. However, there are instances where poisoning may happen. Bunches of beautiful houseplants are detrimental to your pet’s life. Here are some of the signs that your bunny has ingested a poisonous plant:
- drooling or frothing (rabbits cannot vomit, but you may see seepage around the mouth and nose)
- Difficult breathing
- Bleeding internally or externally
- Irregular heart rhythm
- Loss of appetite
- Intestinal inflammation
If you suspect your pet has been poisoned, don’t hesitate to bring it to the vet for treatment and medication. It may be given activated charcoal or undergo hydration therapy. For severe cases, your pet may need a blood transfusion. The body temperature should also be regulated. Artificial respiration must be administered for labored breathing.
How to Prevent Your Pet from Ingesting Plants Toxic to Rabbits?
Prevent your pet from ingesting toxic plants by knowing what plants are harmful. Before putting a plant in your garden, ensure it is not toxic to your bunny. If there are poisonous plants, get rid of them right away. Thus, you may prevent your bunny from ingesting them. You must also provide a proper diet for your bunny so it won’t ingest toxic houseplants.
But if you want to keep the toxic plant, make it inaccessible to your bunny. You can put a high fence around it. Ensure it is high enough to keep your pet away even if it jumps. You can also place a chicken wire around your plant. If it is an indoor plant, put it where your bunny cannot reach it. Putting repellant spray around the plants may prevent your bunny from ingesting them. Rabbits won’t chew plants that are pungent to their smell.
Frequently Asked Questions
What would I do if my pet consumed plants toxic to rabbits?
First, please consult your veterinarian. A phone call to the vet or a poison control office if your vet is closed, provides you with instant answers to the current remedy.
Usually, if your pet consumes toxic plants, it is better to keep it hydrated since it can help to expel the toxin from its system. Aside from that, you must also give it soft food like applesauce so that it can keep its nutrition.
What treatments should be given if my pet eats plants toxic to rabbits?
As much as possible, never treat your rabbit yourself since it may only worsen its situation. Depending on your pet’s condition, the vet may give activated charcoal to your bunny. He may also conduct hydration therapy. A blood transfusion may be performed if your pet has a severe condition.
Identify plants toxic to rabbits
Our rabbits depend on us for their safety and well-being. This includes keeping them from dangers, including plants they must avoid.
It is vital to know the plants toxic to rabbits. Hence, you can determine what household plants to keep away from your pet. If you want to keep a poisonous plant, ensure it is inaccessible to your rabbit. Putting a chicken wire or a high fence around it can help. Keeping your pet adequately fed will prevent your pet from consuming harmful substances.